• 1925- Leroy Tenbrook and Harry Rogers, coworkers at the First National Bank in Wayland, had an idea to start a lumberyard. They purchased 4 acres of land in Wayland next to the Erie Railroad tracks, since this is how all lumber was delivered at the time. Harry remained at the bank and became a silent partner, while Leroy ran the day to day business at the lumberyard.  An office, storage shed, and small shop were constructed from salvaged timbers from the Yohon barn. The delivery equipment consisted of a Model A and a flat bed truck.
  • 1929- Harry Rogers father, Charles also worked at the yard. He had been in the produce business for many years and had a working relationship with many farmers. When the depression it had become necessary to call on farmers to use produce in lieu of payment.  The flatbed truck would go out and pick up the produce to sell to a local dealer.  Potatoes were also grown on the south side of the property to help make extra money. 1940-Harry Rogers passed leaving business to Leroy Tenbrook.1941-Leroy’s son Forbes Tenbrook returned from business school to work alongside his father.
  • 1942- With WWII underway all building materials were rationed. Rogers and Tenbrook could not obtain Lowe brand paint from a dealer and had to purchase all goods on the black market to stay afloat.
  • 1945- The war ended, and a Benjamin Moore paint salesman visited and promised immediate paint supplies to Rogers and Tenbrook. This makes R&T one of the oldest Benjamin Moore dealers in the area.
  • 1951- With many new products being carried by the lumberyard a new storage she built adjacent to the office. This was filled to the rafters by 1952 and an addition was added in 1953.
  • 1956- Leroy and Hellen Tenbrook purchased the Grandview Dairy that went out of business in 1955, next to the lumberyard.
  • 1960-Erie Railroad and Lackawanna Railroad went out of business changing the way the lumberyard received materials. All supplies then had to be delivered by truck.  R&T joined the Genesee Reserve, a co-op of 50 lumber dealers in the Rochester, NY area. The combined buying power of the Co-op enabled members to purchase lumber at better prices and also helped ensure immediate delivery.
  • 1974- The lower storage shed was extended, and a new steel storage shed was added adjacent to Prospect Ave.
  • 1978- Rogers & Tenbrook became Rogers & Tenbrook, Inc. with Leroy as president and Forbes vice-president.
  • 1984- Founder Leroy Tenbrook passed away leaving Forbes as the sole owner.
  • 1985- Kevin & Maryalice Kilbourne purchased Rogers & Tenbrook, Inc. and hired Forbes as a consultant.
  • 1986- Rogers & Tenbrook, Inc.  joined the Do It Best Co- Op.
  • 1987- The former Grandview Dairy Building, that was used as a roofing warehouse was converted to the main store. A large pole barn was erected behind the old office.  The granary building attached to the store was converted for millwork and insulation storage.
  • 1989- 1,200 sq. feet of retail space was added onto the back of the main store. A beautiful oak counter was built for the store by BOCES students.
  • 1990- A service that was previously unavailable in the Southern Tier, Rogers & Tenbrook, Inc. purchased an International ten-wheel boom truck. This enabled delivery and placement of sheet rock, roofing, and other building material to second, third floors plus rooftop levels of sites.  Rogers & Tenbrook, Inc. also purchased the former Ideal Lumber on West Ave, in Dansville N.Y. a 5,000 square foot store offering a full line of hardware, plumbing, electrical supplies, and building materials.
  • 2006- Rogers & Tenbrook, Inc. purchased the former Kelly Brothers nursery property on Maple Street in Dansville, NY.
  • 2008- Construction began on a new 16,000 square foot retail store on the old nursery site in Dansville.
  • 2009- Rogers & Tenbrook, Inc. moved from West Ave. to the new retail space on 19 Maple Street, Dansville.
  • 2020- Rogers & Tenbrook, Inc. will celebrate its 95th Anniversary.